Wednesday, June 3, 2009

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY


The “Strip” at LVMS, NV- There is nothing in the world like being at an NHRA National event on Sunday morning. The people were everywhere, the cars were all shined up and the weather could not be any better. However, as much as I was in awe about the surroundings, what I found in Tim’s briefcase was SHOCKING!

It was ME!…but not me? There was ANOTHER FLAT STANLEY IN HIS BAG! Uh, why didn’t anybody bother to tell me I had a brother? Well, Tim explained to me that the other guy was Flat Stanley 2 and that he was going to also become FAST STANLEY. Honestly I was appalled. Like the Highlander once said, “There can be only one!” But, Katie taught me to have good manners so I welcomed him to the world of NHRA drag racing and briefed him on what it would be like to ride in a race car. I was slotted to ride with Mike Edwards Pro Stock car during the day and Stanley 2 was going to ride with Jeff Arend’s DHL Toyota Funny Car.

Mr. Edwards and his crew are some of the nicest people on the planet. His lovely wife and his crew chief BIG AL were nice enough to offer me a seat in Mr. Edwards’s fire suit. Stanley 2, however had the best seat in the house for his round one ride with Jeff Arend. Mr. Arend is also one of the coolest people in the world, who also has a wonderful (and really pretty wife) named Windy. One of Mr. Arend’s crew members said, “I have the perfect place for Flat Stanley…the SIDE WINDOW!” Flat Stanley 2 was taped to the side window of the DHL- Kalitta Motorsports Funny Car, (lucky guy).

Unfortunately Mr. Arend lost traction about half track and started to smoke the tires. He lost that first round match-up but Stan 2 had a great view.

I on the other hand helped Mr. Edwards win his first round race. A Pro Stock car is so much different than a Funny Car. It has an engine that runs on racing gasoline, not Nitro methane like the Funny Cars do. The driver shifts the car four times as they drive down the track and driver reaction time is very important.

Mr. Edwards unfortunately left the starting line a little too early in round number two and our weekend adventure on the race track was over. Before the final round, Tim decided to meet up with a very good friend of his, Chris Cook. We watched the final rounds from behind the starting line. Chris then took me to victory circle. We got to meet Tony Schumacher, Ron Capps and Jeg Coughlin in the post race press conference in the tower.

I really had a great time at the NHRA Summitracing.com Nationals and the city of Las Vegas. It was truly a sensory overload, but now I AM A NITRO MANIAC! I want more. Hopefully Tim can arrange another visit for me soon. Perhaps, with another guy named Tim?

FAST STANLEY NUMBER ONE…. OUT!


Photo courtesy of Roger Richards at CompetitionPlus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment